Before Your Surgery Checklist
- Posted on: Feb 12 2019
February 12, 2019 | Surgery
If you have an upcoming spine surgery at New Jersey’s Coastal Spine, it’s important to know what’s expected of you and what you need to do on the day/night before your surgery. When it comes to spine surgery, preparation is key. There are a number of things you should be doing beforehand that you might not think about normally. The following checklist items are to ensure that your surgery day goes as smooth as possible! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Coastal Spine, and we’d be happy to assist.
- Eat a light dinner
- No liquids or solids after midnight
- You may still brush your teeth but make sure you don’t swallow anything
- Patients having injections may not eat or drink six hours prior to having anesthesia
- Prescription medications may be taken with a sip of water
- No alcohol at least 12 hours prior
- No smoking or tobacco after midnight
- Remove all jewelry, including body jewelry
- Remove nail polish
- Do not wear hairspray, gel, perfume, cologne, or other toiletries
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing
- Leave valuables at home
- Wear glasses and bring eyeglasses case
- If you must wear contacts, bring contact solution and case
- Bring your insurance card, photo ID, and pre-filled out forms
- Have an adult accompany you to drive you home – Ubers, Lyfts, and taxis are not permitted!
Follow these checklist items and you’ll be set for your spine surgery. Before your surgery date, be sure to ask your doctor questions about medicines you are taking that could affect your surgery. For more preparation tips leading up to your surgery, read our blog.
New Jersey doctors at Coastal Spine specialize in scoliosis, tumor surgery, failed back surgery repairs, and other spine surgeries. If you are in need of surgery or a second opinion for your spine condition, schedule a consultation with us!
Tagged with: Surgery
Posted in: Uncategorized