Back Pain Relief Holiday Gift Guide
November 27, 2018 | Back Pain
The holiday season is quickly approaching, which means it’s time to get your holiday shopping list in order! You could get your loved ones another sweater or pack of socks, but why not find something a little more practical? Back pain is the most common reason for missed work and is the single leading cause of disability. This holiday season, give your loved ones the gift of back pain relief. New Jersey’s Coastal Spine has your back with seven awesome gifts.
- Standing desk – for those who sit all day at work, a standing desk could be the saving grace. Sitting puts pressure on the low back and working at a computer for long periods of time can add strain to the neck. Several studies have shown standing desks can dramatically decrease chronic back pain brought on by prolonged sitting.
- Inversion table – an inversion table may look and sound intimidating, but it actually creates an ideal stretch that improves spinal health. With an inversion table, each joint is able to be decompressed by the same weight that compresses it while upright. A gift like this will target your loved one’s back pain and improve overall spine and joint health.
- Orthopaedic gel seat cushion – from your car ride to work to sitting at your desk for hours, many of us end up sitting down for a majority of the day. This can exacerbate existing back pain and create more back problems down the road. A gift like an orthopaedic gel seat cushion could help ease and prevent back pain. New Jersey spine doctors recommend a gel seat cushion to provide continuous support and comfort, promote blood circulation by even weight distribution, and, most importantly, reduce back pain.
- Body pillow – if back pain keeps you or your loved one up throughout the night, you’ll be able to rest easy knowing there’s a solution to this problem. A full-body pillow can work wonders to improve your spine alignment while you sleep. When sleeping on your side, the weight of your upper half is pushing down on your hips, which can cause significant discomfort and pain. By placing a body pillow between your knees and arms, your muscles are able to relax and your spine will stay in proper alignment.
- Heating pad – tight and aching back muscles can benefit from a gift as simple as a heating pad. Heat stimulates the sensory receptors, which when applied to the back, will decrease transmissions of pain signals to the brain and partially relieve the discomfort. Heat therapy also dilates the blood vessels of muscles surrounding the lumbar spine to increase the flow of oxygen and help heal damaged tissue.
- Acupressure mats – this is not a joke. The idea of an acupressure mat is to literally lay down on a bed of spikes. As scary as it sounds, this mat has been successful in relieving back pain. The mat’s plastic spikes press firmly into pressure points, relieving tension and muscle aches. Aside from aches and tension, this mat can also help with stress, anxiety, and migraines. It’s the perfect gift for anyone that needs a little relaxation!
- Foam roller – the connective tissue located around the back muscles are often the source of painful knots. The idea of a foam roller is to apply gentle, sustained pressure on the tissue that is hurting. Foam rolling, when done properly, will increase blood flood, increase strength and flexibility, and prevent tears and injuries.
When it comes to back pain, New Jersey doctors at Coastal Spine recommend being proactive to reduce your pain. If pain persists, it’s a good idea to visit a spine specialist to get an expert diagnosis and treatment plan. The season of giving has arrived. Give the gift of back pain relief this year, your loved ones will thank you!