Spondylolisthesis is a condition where the bone of the vertebrae in the spine slips out of position. The team of spine physicians and specialists at Coastal Spine are experienced in performing spondylolisthesis treatments and have several methods to help provide patient wellness.
Spondylolisthesis can result from several different causes:
- For children, this can be a birth defect or from trauma.
- For adults, the most common cause of the slip is degenerative diseases.
- Other causes can be bone diseases, traumatic fractures, and stress fractures.
- Low backache
- Pain depending on fracture location
- Muscle pain
- Muscle spasms
- Loss of range-of-motion
The first step to begin diagnosing spondylolisthesis is a physical exam by one of our physicians. Spondylolisthesis can also be diagnosed by an X-ray, MRI, or CT scan.
Coastal Spine has developed several spondylolisthesis treatments, including:
- Bracing, physical therapy and injections.
- Surgery. If spondylolisthesis symptoms get worse, surgery may be required. Surgical treatment can often be arranged in an outpatient setting with a minimally invasive surgical procedure. The procedures are completed either in our spine dedicated surgical center or the local spine accredited hospital.
- Possible surgeries include minimally invasive laminectomy and fusion (TLIF).